Business is all about meeting the needs of people. To make this happen, a business needs leadership. The qualities of leadership drive the ability of the business to meet its own needs and the needs of the people who depend on it.
If you don’t develop the skills and attributes of a leader, your business will stagnate.
For some people, it seems natural for them to be put in a position where they’re looked up to as a leader. But their characteristics can be learned and developed. Leadership is a combination of skills that can be learned, practiced and perfected by anyone willing to put in the time and effort.
The demands on leaders are a lot! Indeed, it is very difficult for leaders to focus on their development. Find time right now despite the demands at work. Commit to continuous improvement. Then, figure out what to focus on regarding your development. By doing so, you will not only help yourself but those you serve.
To be a leader is to influence. To influence, one needs a number of skills. A leader must:
- Have a clear vision of where to go. He must share that vision, and act upon it.
- Have the discipline to work toward his vision.
- Display integrity, both outward actions and inner values.
- Inspire dedication to accomplish the task.
- Give credit where it is due and takes personal responsibility for failures.
- Imbibe humility.
- Be able to listen to new ideas.
- Be creative — think differently.
- Deal with others to get the desired results.
- Have sense of humor to foster good camaraderie.
You are only as good as your people. Empower your people and success will not be far behind. Leadership is about unlocking potential — inspiring people to see what they are capable of.