Communication is a major challenge for managers because they are responsible for providing information. If communication is effective, it results in efficient and effective performance in organizations. Communication is essential to building and maintaining relationships in the workplace.
Also, the way you choose to communicate at work has now become as important as what you say when you communicate.
When a problem arises, it’s often due to poor communication in the workplace.
Effective Communication brings knowledge into the organization and disseminates it to employees who require that information. It is one of the most critical goals of organizations. It is the backbone of any business.
Not everyone is a born communicator, and there is always a room to improve. Effective Communication is a skill you can learn. Here’s how:
- Organize and clarify ideas in your mind before you attempt to communicate ideas.
- Use your “set up statements” to gain everyone’s attention
- Listen actively. Ensure that your facial expressions reflect your interest.
- Get to the point directly when sharing your POV, POC, TPV.
- Communicate eye-to-eye — to establish rapport, help convince people that you’re trustworthy and display interest.
- Have a kind word for everyone. It makes you a better human being, and makes the workplace enjoyable.
- Stay up to date with what’s going on in your field.(Preparation) It will help make you an invaluable employee who can communicate well in the workplace.
- Enjoy the company of your co-workers, but keep it down and be discreet.
- Be careful with your words. The workplace should be a safe, comfortable and non-threatening environment for all.